Today the Christian Church celebrates the ascension of Jesus of the Mount of Olives to remain in Heaven until His Second Return. To be honest, not many evangelicals celebrate Ascension and fewer even note the day. However, like most events in the Bible, there are lessons to be learned that can and should strengthen our faith in Christ – whom we confess to be the only Way to heaven. The story of the ascension can be read in Mt. 28:16-20 and Acts 1:1-12.
- He’s ALIVE! Jesus did not die a second time and end up in a tomb somewhere. He rose bodily to heaven where He will never see physical decay. (Ps. 16:10)
- He is VICTORIOUS KING, having accomplished all He now sits at the right hand of the Father ruling and waiting for all things to be fulfilled so that He may return a second time. (Heb. 1:13, Heb. 10:12-15)
- He is HIGH PRIEST forever making intercession on our part before the Father; a permanent and full-time Mediator for us before the mercy seat God. (Heb. 7:24-25)
- He sends the HOLY SPIRIT to give us Power to be Witnesses of Christ, the power to tell others and the power to make more disciples. This is Pentecost which we celebrate on May 24th this year. (Acts 1:8)
- The angels announce HIS SECOND RETURN which will not be so quiet and unassuming as His first arrival in a stable in Bethlehem. This Promise gives us Hope and Purpose.(Acts 1:10-11)
Take some time today, re-read the story of Christ’s ascension and reflect on what that means for you and for the Church as a whole.